Monday, September 06, 2004

Loyalty and disloyalty

Preached on the character of Loyalty last Saturday Nite. I dare say that most of us have been disloyal at least once in our lifetime to either our spouse (or future spouse), our employer (or employee), our company, our family, our friends and definitely to God.

Even as I preached, I know the message is definitely for me. I canrelate many times and ways that I've been disloyal. If not in action, then in my thoughts and feelings. Dissatisfaction is the most common reason for people to be disloyal. Ungratefulness is another main reason for us to be disloyal. And our carnal nature adds up to the tendency to rebel or be disloyal to the person(s) who deserves our loyalty.

Would I be loyal now since I've preached about it? I dare not say that I'll be loyal because it is something that we develop through time, especially times of trouble. But one thing that I've learned is that many of us expects loyalty from others. We want others to be loyal but we ourselves will find many reasons not to be loyal to them. It is not how others treat us that determines whether we should be loyal or not. The determining factor is our goal to be Christlike. Loyalty is demanded from us by God and especially when things get rough, our loyalty will be tested.

There is however a limitation to our loyalty to others. No one have the right to ask us to sacrifice ethical principles in the name of loyalty. When an employer asks us to tell a lie, he immediately forfeits his right to claim/demand loyalty from us.

My wife asked me whether I'm loyal to her. So far so good. I'm married and still loyal. hehehe. I know that she is loyal to me. Praise God for that. Marriage is a covenant and not a contract. Look not for anyway to escape your marriage but look for ways to strengthen and build the best relationship that you'll have besides your relationship with Jesus Christ.

On the scale of 1 to 10, my loyalty to others is rated 7.5. Be patient with me, I'm still working on this character.

Share your thoughts with me.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

i am, i am VERY patient with you...

Leishia said...

hehe

hey no better skin? not reader/surfer friendly lah

Michelle said...

WOW!
1. so much energy in ur new skin.
2. susah mo baca lar...
3. pening kepala gua
4. the "fucking" ubi kayu picture tak match with ur new blogskin lar.