Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Refined as gold

"A CRISIS always brings out the best or worst in human nature. What a person does or says in reaction to a calamity is a true reflection of his or her character."

Found this phrase from The Star paper today. How true and apt it is as I reflected on the situations that is happening in the past week. Each one has a choice to make. I am also reminded of the verse that says that it is from man's own heart that his words reflects. And another verse which says that the tongue has the power of life and death. And yet it is very difficult to tame the tongue. With the tongue we praise our God and with it also we cursed man; this should not be so.

It is very easy to react negatively to a circumstance that is against us. That does not take any courage or strength to do. It comes naturally. But it takes a lot of energy, strength, will-power and courage to do the opposite, to react positively, to humble oneself, to show love despites the hurts that is still cutting in our hearts. Such a man is rare to find. To be able to show Christlike love despite the hurts we received. As Jesus looked at the soldiers and people who sentenced Him to the agony and pain of the cross, He asked His Father to forgive them for they know not what they are doing.

Have I achieved that character? Well it is still far on the horizon but I am pushing myself to walk towards it. It takes lots of strength and will-power but I want to do it. I want to stand before my Maker and after being tested, to be able to stand victoriously and refined as gold.

No comments: