Sunday, January 06, 2008

Worldly pleasures = worldly pressures

Today’s Sunday message by Pastor Lee Neo touches on many important aspects of my life. I won’t go into detail about the various points shared in the message but I wanted to share something that was said in the message.

“Parents, we should not compare our past experiences with the present generation. We should not say, “I did it differently when I was your age”. You know why, because I believe today’s generation are facing greater pressure and temptations than the previous generations. And if we are not diligent in guiding this new generation, they would be lost when they reach the age of 20 when they go to further their studies.” Paraphrased by me.

As I ponder back on this statement, I find that it is very true. Being a father I at times do compare my children’s lifestyle and mine when I was young like them. I never have to study in kindergarten when I was still a child but my two girls who are only 4 and 5 years old are already in kindergarten, being “forced” to study. However, I would like to differ or add my thoughts to her statement.

My comment to my pastor’s statement is that it is not only the new generation that faces tremendous pressure. It is the lifestyle of today that creates such pressures. Even the old generation like me…hahaha…not so old lah… faces tremendous pressures now. We are being exposed to the same worldly temptations as the new generations. One good example is the Datuk Chua Soi Lek’s sexual intercourse scandal with a beauty saloon worker. He is already over 60 years old and yet the lure of sexual pleasure does not exclude him.

All generations, be it new or old generations have to face today’s worldly pressures. Of course, being the older generation we should have learned something from our mistakes and other people’s mistake and should be better equipped although that is not necessarily the case.

No comments: